It’s frustrating when kids don’t eat what we give them…
It is also frustrating when your child is overweight and you can’t seem to control what they are eating.
Fortunately, there are a lot of tools and resources to help you deal with whatever your kids throw at you, even if they are literally throwing some of their meals back at you.
Some basic tips:
- offer much more variety at an early age
- eat much less fast food
- don’t get tied up on thinking your child needs to eat a balanced diet every single day – as long as it balances out over a week or so, you are fine
- learn about portion control – many kids eat too much
- don’t worry so much about your picky eater
Most importantly, no distractions at mealtimes.
- Sugar and Added Sugar
- What’s Wrong with Homemade Baby Formula?
- Preventing and Treating Vitamin D Deficiency
- Low Fat Foods for Kids
- Treating Hard to Control Obesity
- The Best Milk for Kids – Does It Still Come from a Cow?
- Understanding the Risks and Benefits of Drinking Raw Milk
Meals should be a fun time for the family. Come talk to us if they aren’t.
More on Child Nutrition
- Choose MyPlate
- Get your MyPlate Plan
- BMI Calculator for Child and Teen
- Eat Right
- Kids and Portion Control
- Start with Small Changes
- Feeding and Swallowing Disorders in Children
- Kid-Friendly Kitchen Tasks Infographic
- 6 Ways to End Family Fights Over Dinner
- Why Is My Child Always Hungry?
- 7 Kitchen Staples for Teen-Friendly Meals
- Does My Child Need a Gluten Free Diet?
- Snack and Meal Ideas
- Does My Child Need A Supplement?
- Happier Meals for Kids at the Drive-Thru
- When Should My Kids Snack?
- Dairy Alternatives for Kids Who Won’t – or Can’t – Drink Milk
- How to Talk to Kids about Weight and Obesity
- 15 Fueling Snacks to Take to Your Child’s Game
- 8 Ways to Get Picky Eaters to Become More Adventurous
- Is Fish Healthy for My Child?
- Tips to Keep Your Vegetarian Child Healthy
- Feeding Vegetarian and Vegan Infants and Toddlers
- My Child Doesn’t Eat the Lunch I Pack! What Do I Do?
- Preventing Childhood Obesity Healthy Eating Tips for Kids
- What and How Much Should My Preschooler Be Eating?
- Safe Weight Gain Tips for Underweight Kids
- Tips for Getting Kids to Eat Vegetables
- How Many Calories Does My Teen Need?
- How Teen Athletes Can Build Muscle with Protein
- Say “Yes!” to Non-Food Rewards
- Read the Food Label
- Changes to the Nutrition Facts Label
- The Basics of the Nutrition Facts Label
- Foods to Fight Iron Deficiency