Kids in Rockwall ISD have been back in school for three weeks now, so what’s happening with our COVID cases?
Not surprisingly, they are going up…
Back to School COVID Update
And that’s because the Delta surge is far from over.
And area vaccination rates are not very high…
Add in the fact that most schools still aren’t mandating masks or even quarantining exposed students and it should be no surprise that cases are still rising.
As of September 8:
- the test positivity rate is back down to 0.18, off the recent highs of 0.25 last month, but still too high
- Rockwall County has had an estimated 14,718 total cases, about 861 active cases, and 175 deaths (including 5 new deaths this past week and about 16 deaths during the Delta surge)
- Garland ISD now has 47 active staff cases and 490 active student cases (going down!)
- Rockwall ISD now has 64 active staff cases and 404 active student cases (going up!)
- Wylie ISD already has 32 active staff cases and 183 active student cases
- Royse City ISD already has 23 active staff cases and 161 active student cases
- Caddo Mills ISD still has 11 active staff cases and 29 active student cases
- at least six Rockwall County daycare centers have had active cases in the past two weeks among students or staff
- hospital and ICU occupancy rates are back over 90 to 95%, which is dangerously high
- a pop-up monoclonal antibody infusion center has opened in Rockwall that can be used to treat high risk children (who are at least 12 years old) and adults with high risk conditions who have recently gotten sick with COVID
And the predictions continue to be that we are at least two weeks away from any kind of peak…
What can you do to protect your family?
Encourage your kids to wear a mask in school, wear a mask when in public, and practice social distancing when possible, avoiding crowded situations.
And of course, you should get a COVID vaccine if you are eligible, which is everyone who is at least 12 years old who doesn’t have a contraindication.
More on COVID-19
- The Latest on Masks to Keep Kids From Getting COVID
- 7 Things to Know About COVID-19
- The Truth About COVID-19 Vaccines
- What to Do if You Have Been Exposed to COVID-19
- What to Do if You Have Been Diagnosed with COVID-19
- Treating Kids with COVID Monoclonal Antibodies
- Returning to Sports After Having COVID-19
- How Long Are You Contagious When You Have COVID-19?
- Are Kids Dying With COVID-19?
- Who Are the Real COVID-19 Experts?
- Why There is Still So Much COVID-19 Confusion
- UT Health COVID Dashboard
- Rockwall County COVID Trends
- Texas COVID-19 Data
- Texas Hospitals COVID Dashboard
- North Texas COVID Data Dashboard
- UT Austin COVID-19 Modeling Consortium
- Find COVID-19 Vaccines Near You
- CDC – Delta Variant: What We Know About the Science
- CDC – Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People